Leather isn’t really new, but it continues to stay on-trend through the years, particularly during the winter months. In fact, it was seen all over the catwalks for the Autumn Winter 2018/2019 shows, with designers like Miu Miu, Givenchy, Victoria Beckham, Loewe, and Tod’s all coming up with grown-up, fashion-forward leather pieces for the cooler months.
Chances are, you already have a few great pieces in your closet that will work perfectly this winter and adding a few more leather basics can allow you to rock this irresistible trend. We’ve put together a how-to guide on how to style your favorite leather pieces to keep the look chic and modern.
Styling Leather Skirts
While the leather skirt is a classic fashion staple (think the classic pencil style that style maven Blake Lively is wearing) that looks great no matter the season, there are several different ways to style the skirt for the winter months.
- Want to wear your leather skirt to work? Get it ready for the office by adding lots of layers. Top it with a knit sweater, a tailored blazer, add tights, the perfect scarf, and a pair of booties and you’re ready to rock it at the office.
- Looking for something laid back and fun? Start with a leather pencil skirt and then add a graphic sweater layered over your favorite plaid shirt like the plaid shirt Khloe Kardashian paired with her leather skirt.
- A skater style skirt offers a flirty, feminine take on leather, and you’ll take it to the next level by adding a cute sweater and bright heels.
- If you prefer something edgy, go with a pleated leather skirt, a thin black turtleneck, and over-the-knee boots.
Whether your personal style is sporty, edgy, or something a bit in between, you’re sure to find leather pants in a silhouette you’ll love. Just make sure you keep a few Do's and Don'ts in mind if you want to rock your leather pants this winter.
- DO choose a topper in a contrasting fabric. Glamour notes that topping leather pants with a denim jacket looks hip.
- DO add feminine colors like pink to your outfit, and
- DON’T choose leather pants in those same pastels, feminine shades. The key is to have some contrast.
- DO top leather pants with a tailored blazer. White tuxedo blazers give the leather trend an edgy look.
- DO give slouchy leather pants like the ones Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is wearing a try. They work perfectly with silk button-downs, t-shirts, and more for a laid-back weekend look.
Get Creative with a Leather Jacket
Simply watch celebrities and models like Claire Danes, Cara Delevingne, Rihanna, Karlie Kloss, and Kirsten Stewart on the red carpet or just running errands around Hollywood and you’ll see how popular leather jackets are right now.
After all, a leather jacket goes with nearly anything (except for those leather pants), and there are so many fun ways to wear the leather jacket this winter while incorporating other current fashion trends.
- For example, a tough leather jacket with boyfriend jeans, flat booties, and leopard print accessories like a leopard clutch or leopard scarf, looks sophisticated and edgy.
- You don’t have to go with black when choosing a leather jacket. A metallic moto jacket looks great with black jeans, a chunky sweater, and colorful boots.
- If you want a look you can wear to work, go with a slim-fit camel leather jacket, grey slacks, a black and white striped shirt, a satchel bag, and navy booties.
Try the Trend with Leather Accessories
Savoir Flair recommends adding a few leather accessories to your winter outfits if you want to try this trend without diving in headfirst.
- A unique leather belt that goes far beyond a standard through-the-loop belt you have in your closet is a fun way to add leather to a simple dress for an edgy look.
- A leather beret like the one Rihanna is wearing looks effortlessly cool with nearly anything.
- And a leather handbag or leather clutch offer an easy way to add just a touch of leather to your outfit.